Comprehensive Deployment and Ongoing Services via DOT NET, Oracle and SQL Server Platforms – A Journey of Cohesion, Scalability and Security for Banking Technology Provider “Open Solutions”
Geographically Distributed Reach and Broad Domain Expertise of Open Solutions
As a Banking Technology provider in the global domain, spread across geographies and catering to a wide customer base, Open Solutions carries a very broad portfolio of products and services. Their suite of myriad solutions is designed to enable technology to minimise workload and maximise efficiency for Banks, Credit Unions and service providers of Financial Services. Open Solutions primarily automates Core Banking and General Ledger Activities for its clients, in addition to Customer Relationship Management.
Open Solutions’ Unique Market Position in the Banking Sector
Open Solutions has gained broad market acceptance based on its ability to deliver fast paced customer centric solutions, which are user-friendly and reliable.
- Clients depend on Open Solutions primarily due to the integrity and dependability of the underlying technology support system.
- Open Solutions is constantly looking for ways to modernise its technology architecture that can cater to bulky, time intensive calculations. The speed and accuracy of the solution are paramount to remain competitive in the Banking market.
- Due to the nature of the domain that Open Solutions operates in, a secure system is a top priority for every client associated with Open Solutions. As a result, all systems deployed by Open Solutions are built on a rigorously tested and impenetrable security layer.
To provide the best of breed applications to its clients, Open Solutions is continually looking for interoperable and scalable technology solutions with the aim of maximising their customer satisfaction.
Core Challenges Faced by Legacy Technology Architecture of Open Solutions
Open Solutions, in their endeavour to expand business operations underwent a number of acquisitions of companies in the similar domain. Evidently, this led to the integration of a number of products that were built on multiple technology platforms.
- Low Efficiency and Speed – Overtime, the overall efficiency and speed was compromised due to the presence of multiple software platforms that were unable to perform smooth handovers.
- High Costs – Even when higher costs were incurred, the legacy system failed to provide expected results.
- Issues During Customisation – Customisation of existing products was difficult since some of the modules were hardwired into the code. Besides, it was time-consuming and sometimes led to a loss of integrity.
- Scalability Concerns – Scalability was a major issue and support for localisation and internationalisation was becoming increasingly difficult.
When Open Solutions found themselves overwhelmed with the demands of multiple technology platforms that had to operate together to accomplish common tasks, they approached R Solutions for a planned software architecture.
Initial Need Assessment by Open Solutions
As part of the future roadmap and planning process, Open Solutions needed to accomplish the following shared goals:
- The single technology platform for all products and services for smooth and seamless interoperability between application systems.
- A secure and multi-channel architecture that would cater to cross-domain requirements, now and in future at a fraction of current costs.
- A scalable system that is built with ease of enhancement and customisation of existing products and services.
- A thorough analysis of the functionality offered by current suite of products and services and its comparison against industry standards to enhance existing functionality for customer delight.
- A mechanism to ensure that client activities of over 300 banks and credit Unions across North America go unhindered during the transition. The need for a no impact migration process from the existing to the new software platform was identified as a critical objective.
While Open Solutions identified the need for a new software architecture, their underlying goals would be accomplished only after a thorough assessment and detailed re-design of the current system.
The legacy system at Open Solutions used three different platform architectures for their Core Banking, General Ledger and Customer Relations Management systems. The use of COBOL, Java, DB2, VB, Oracle, Centura and SQR produced a setback in major critical tasks performed by Open Solutions, compromising efficiency and effectiveness of software performance.
Proposed Requirements, Design and Planning by R Systems
R Systems put forward a detailed proposal entailing comprehensive Analysis, Design, Development, Testing, Maintenance and Support to meet future functional and technological goals of Open Solutions.
On the functional side, R Systems identified the need for a single interface for authentication and authorization of three different system user profiles. Seamless integration of all modules and advanced reporting was at the core of the proposal.
On the technology front, the goal of R Systems was to identify and implement the best approach through which all software systems would interoperate seamlessly. In this context, the final architecture would envisage the use of DOT NET architecture, backed by Oracle and DB2 through SQL Server and its reporting services.
- During the initial Requirements Gathering phase, R Systems performed an in-depth analysis of current system architecture and products. During this phase, R Systems identified design areas that needed refurbishment.
- The rather recursive and vigorous Development Phase focused on the production of a common architecture and authentication mechanism across products, the design of reusable components (DOT NET controls) and required Reporting capabilities in accordance with intended Regulations and Customizations. In the end, a no-impact migration procedure was carried out for the Database and Middle Layer
- During the thorough Testing Phase, R Systems imbibed Functional, System, Integration, Regression, Performance and Load testing alongside Release Management according to industry standards.
- R Systems is currently engaged in ongoing Support and Maintenance activities on the entire platform architecture devised for Open Solutions. R Systems provides regular defect analysis, timely hotfixes and system updates, and onsite as well as offshore implementation support when required.
The R Edge for Guaranteed Cohesion, Scalability and Security of the Proposed Solution
R Systems offered a competitive and cohesive unified platform architecture to Open Solutions by providing a Robust, Scalable, Interoperable and Secure Software Design.
R Systems enabled the competitive edge for Open Solutions across software development phases:
The Development Phase
- During the design and development phases, R Systems focused on maximising customer satisfaction. This was achieved by ensuring that the software adhered closely to the requirements of Banks, Credit Unions, Thrifts and Financial Service providers catered to by Open Solutions.
- Ever since the idea of a new system was conceived by R Systems, their goals revolved around providing an interoperable, distributed system. This objective was met through an interoperable, Distributed Accounting system. Besides, integration with third party systems including TEFBV, DOMI and SPEI was implemented
- Extended functionality was always part of the planning process. As a result, key features of the new system included CECOBAN Clearing Processing, Regulatory Reporting, Interest Rebate processing, Bill Payment Processing and Bar Code support. Further, the system supported Reward program for Savings account holders, comprehensive Loan and Interest features including Debt Restructuring, detailed Taxation and reporting, VAT accounting and Inflation accounting to site a few.
- Among other added conveniences were support for Thai calendar and User interface design in the local language.
The Migration Phase
- The major activities undertaken by R Systems during migration were the deployment of a unified DOT NET framework to successfully eliminate all fragmented activities from the existing legacy system. The major work undertaken was for supporting a Distributed Accounting system and eliminating redundant functionality through the use of reusable components.
- R Systems implemented a Single Sign-On feature as part of its interoperability core goals, including authentication and authorisation of system users and accomplishment of common functions including creation and maintenance of Customers, Members, and Accounts as primary entities of the distributed system.
- Among important efficiencies introduced as part of the transition were ease of navigation throughout the application, increased usability and user friendliness, and easy plug and play and integration with third party applications.
The Support and Maintenance Phase
- R Systems efficiently aligns the issues reported by Open Solutions along three different pre-determined strands for optimal resolution in minimum time frame. R Systems internally classifies these strands as Application Code issues, Operational Issues and Non-Issues.
- Operational and Non-Issues are resolved by guiding the client to several Business processes.
- To deal with critical issues that need immediate attention, R Systems supports Open Solutions thorough Hotfixes for the fastest possible resolution.
- R Systems deploys the best minds as part of its support team to resolve all maintenance and support tasks via an Onsite – Offshore model.
The R Experience and How it Can Serve YOU Better in Your Projects
R Systems deployed one of the best platform architectures in banking domain for Open Solutions. This proved superior and highly competitive as compared with most other counterparts available in the market today:
- Close Attention to Present Needs: The software solution was designed with close alignment to the needs of Core Banking, CRM and General Ledger requirements, which were critical to Open Solutions
- Unmatched Software Architecture: DOT NET Platform over Oracle/DB2 and SQL Server reporting was the best choice of architecture for Open Solutions and their needs for an interoperable, distributed, reusable and scalable solution were met thoroughly and meticulously.
- Cost Reduction and Efficiency Maximisation: Due to the nature of the software architecture, elimination of redundant activities, reusable functions and user acceptance came naturally with the deployment and migration to the new system. As a result, the new system was up and running at only a fraction of the current costs and performed the tasks with higher efficiency and greater throughput.
- Successful Implementation of Major Enhancements: The new system proposed by R Systems carried many more features that were not part of the legacy system. The new interoperable system not only implemented desired functionality but also enabled scalability and easy plug and play to cater to any future requirements.
- Thorough Support and Maintenance Function: The support and maintenance tasks undertaken by R Systems were critical towards satisfying the needs of Open Solutions. Thorough internal planning and classification of critical and non-critical issues through professional expertise was ideally deployed through an onsite-offshore model.
R Systems has a culture of innovative, transformational solutions that meet challenging expectation on time, and on target for mission critical application systems. Using a customer-centric approach, R Systems achieved high efficiency at reduced costs and seamless integration and scalability for Open Solutions’ architecture targeted at the Banking and Financial domain.