Ahmedabad and Mumbai, being amongst the popular cities in Western India are well-connected by air. The distance between both the cities is 523.9km, and they are connected by National Highway 48. The travel time by air is close to an hour. Air travel between both the cities has become easy in the last few years, thanks to the frequent flights and also the availability of discounted tickets throughout the year.
Best Time to Visit Mumbai
Mumbai, being a cosmopolitan city, is frequented by tourists throughout the year. It is a coastal city, and the climate is pleasant all year round. There are no harsh winters. Mumbai has three primary seasons in a year.
Winter: From November to February, the city experiences winter that is mild. Though the temperature can go as low as 10ºC, the days are considerably warmer and perfect for outdoor activities.
Summer: Summer starts by March and prolongs up to May. During this season, there is humidity in the air, and the temperature can rise to 40º C in May. Days in summer may not be perfect to step out, but evenings are pleasant for shopping or sight-seeing.
Monsoons: Mumbai’s most famous season begins by June and extends up to October. The rainfall is heavy especially during July and August. Public transport is available throughout the year, and taxis operate even during monsoons.
Any time of the year is good to visit Mumbai. However, if you consider rain as a hindrance, you can avoid the rainy season. Monsoons are an excellent time to visit the beautiful hill towns around Mumbai.
Hotels in Mumbai
Mumbai has a plethora of choices when it comes to accommodation that caters to the business class and budget traveller. There are several picturesque resorts in and around the city and lodges to suit the various kinds of travellers. A few are listed below.
- The Ambassador Marine Drive: Situated in Church gate, this is a mid-range hotel with a pleasant ambiance. The hotel offers free Wi-Fi and parking. It is safe for single travellers, especially women.
- Mint International Airport Suites: Situated in Marol, Andheri East, it is a service apartment style hotel. They are 2 BHK flats converted into hotel rooms and is an apt place for a budget traveller. It is situated in a calm area and offers friendly service.
- IBIS Navi Mumbai Hotel: Situated in Navi Mumbai, this 3-star hotel is among the most reputed hotels in the locality. The hotel offers free Wi-Fi and parking with a good breakfast spread. The rooms are spacious and are non-smoking rooms.
- Vivanta by Taj – President: Situated in Cuff Parade, this 5-star property offers the best of amenities like a fitness centre and a pool with a huge breakfast spread. The air-conditioned rooms are well-lit and spacious. The property houses restaurants along with a bar.
With several hotels in the city, you can pick the best based on your budget and locality.
Restaurants in Mumbai
Mumbai is a paradise for food lovers and adventurers. The diners in the city offer the perfect assortment of cuisines from across the world. Listed below are a few of them.
- Le Pain Quotidien: Situated in Bandra East, this café offers Continental and French cuisine with a pleasant, ambiance. Alcohol is served here, and your order can also be delivered home.
- Under the Banyan Tree: Situated in Peddar Road, South Mumbai, this casual dining resto café offers finger food and Italian food. The outlet is open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner and has an outdoor seating area.
- Delhi Darbar Fusion: This casual dining restaurant in Thane West, offers North Indian cuisine along with a range of international dishes like Mexican, Mughlai, Chinese, and Continental. This outlet also serves alcohol
- Upper Crest: This multi-cuisine restaurant offers North Indian, Chinese, and Thai fares and is situated in Powai.
Be it local fare or fusion cuisine, Mumbai houses the best of both.
Offbeat Things To Do In Mumbai
This charming city has something for everyone. From beaches to wildlife parks, it offers varied flavours. Here are a few things you can do in Mumbai.
- Take a walk along the Promenade: A relaxing stroll along the Marine Drive Promenade is a perfect way to unwind
- Explore Wildlife: The Sanjay Gandhi National Park in Borivali East has a fascinating array of flora and fauna
- Cruise along the Arabian: Yacht rides near the Gateway of India take you to nearby islands like Elephanta islands and Khandheri islands
- Visit the world famous Monument, The Gateway of India
Mumbai also has some famous hilly towns in the neighbourhood where you can plan a weekend.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What are the Domestic and International airlines on the Ahmedabad to Mumbai route?
- The Domestic Operators in the Ahmedabad to Mumbai route include Jet Airways, Indigo, Go Air, Air India, SpiceJet,
- The International airlines available along this route are Emirates, Kuwait Airways, Etihad-Jet Airways and Vistara
- What is the Connectivity from Mumbai Airport
Taxis and Car rentals are the best options to move to the city centre from the airport. Local trains can take you to the city. The closest Train station to the Domestic Terminal is the Vile Parle. One has to hire a taxi or rickshaw or take a bus to get to the station. Bus services can connect you to other train stations. There are no direct buses to the city centre from the airport.
- When is the earliest flight from Ahmedabad to Mumbai?
The first flight out of Ahmedabad is at 4.00 am
- When is the Last flight from Ahmedabad to Mumbai?
The last flight from Ahmedabad leaves the city at 11.50 p.m
- What airlines provide direct flights from Ahmedabad to Mumbai?
The airline operators that provide direct flights from Ahmedabad to Mumbai are Air India, SpiceJet, GoAir, Indigo and Jet Airways.
- What are the hotels in the vicinity of Mumbai airport?
The hotels that are situated within a 2 km radius of the airport are:
- The Orchid Mumbai at Vile Parle
- Hotel Transit at Vile Parle East
- Hyatt Regency at Andheri East
- Sahar Garden Hotel at Andheri East
- IBIS Mumbai Airport at Junction of Nehru Path
- Hilton Mumbai International Airport at Andheri East
Shopping In Mumbai
Mumbai is famous for its fashion and street shopping. Indulge in retail therapy at Hill Road in Bandra, Lokhandwala Market, Mira Road in Shanthi Nagar, Chor Bazaar and Crawford Market. You can also visit the swanky malls like Inorbit Mall, Viviana Mall, High street Phoenix and R City Mall.
Major Attractions In Mumbai
Mumbai has several places of attractions apart from The Gateway of India. They include:
- The Haji Ali Dargah- A tomb and mosque in Worli
- ChattrapatiShivajiMaharajVastuSangrahalaya – a grand art and history museum with Indo-Saracenic architecture
- Kanheri Caves- Rock-hewn ancient temples with Buddhist shrines and paintings
- Siddhivinayak Temple- An opulent Hindu temple for Lord Ganesha
The SardarVallabhai Patel International Airport caters to both the cities of Ahmedabad and Gandhinagar. The airport is located 9km from central Ahmedabad in Hansol and has two terminals. The terminal 1 operates domestic flights, and Terminal 2, both domestic and International flights. Both the terminals have restaurants and duty-free shops.
Connectivity to Ahmedabad Airport
Taxis are available from the airport. The prepaid counters are available at the airport premises. Bus services connect the airport to the city.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What are the popular domestic routes from Ahmedabad?
Being the financial capital of Gujarat, Ahmedabad is connected by flight to major metropolitan cities like Mumbai, Kolkatta, New Delhi, Bangalore, and Chennai. Flights are also available to other important cities like Goa, Guwahati, Siliguri, and Dibrugarh.
- What are the popular airlines flying from Ahmedabad airport?
Jet Airways, Air India, Go Air, Indigo, SpiceJet and JetLite are some of the popular airlines operating here.
- What are the prominent hotels near Ahmedabad Airport?
Some of the reputed hotels near the airport in Ahmedabad are The Holiday Inn Express, The Ummed, Airport Residency, and Comfort Inn Sunset
- What are the Key attractions in Ahmedabad?
There are several interesting places to visit in Ahmedabad like Sabarmati Ashram, Sabarmati Riverfront, Kankaria Lake, SardarVallabhai Patel history museum and Dada Hari Ni Vav
- Which is the Best time to visit Ahmedabad?
Winters, between November to February are the best time to visit Ahmedabad and enjoy the outdoors. The maximum winter temperature averages around 30°C and the minimum around 12 ºC.